Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sigma Harmonics gives me a dose of detective thrill

Square-Enix is always my favorite company despite the fact that they really slow in developing and releasing any games (especially their trademarked Final Fantasy franchise and now famous Kingdom Hearts series). The quality of their games are undeniably of top-notch quality. In fact, Square-Enix is always not afraid to attempt unconventional spins on the role-playing genre. I mean look at Kingdom Hearts series, The World Ends with You (TWEWY), certainly have rocked the gaming industry and gamers world. OK, the sales of Sigma Harmonics is not that satisfying, but it doesn't mean it is a bad game. In fact, I love it!

The plot of the game is (quote from Wikipedia): The story revolves around Sigma Kurogami (黒上 シグマ, Kurogami Shiguma?) (voiced by Daisuke Ono), a high school student and "sound user" whose family guards a huge clock sealing off the demon Ōma (逢魔, Ōma?). One day, his past is rewritten, causing chaos in his present. He then works with his friend Neon Tsukiyumi (月弓 ネオン, Tsukiyumi Neon?) (voiced by Aya Hirano) to solve an increasingly complex string of murder cases and return his life to normal.

Lets see what to like about this game from my own point of view. It has the Japanese anime / manga-style of representation, which always suits my appetite in gaming. The RPG-style of battle game-play has a certain direction-related strategy (which you will know what I mean when you play it). Well, it is card-based meshed with music themes, but I don't think that is the uniqueness (look at pin-based with music themes for TWEWY). And, this is the main part why I love this game. It lets me play some detective in the game. Certainly it is a surprise to me because I couldn't really link crime-solving detective with weird-monsters-fighting and time-and-alpha-space-traveling storyline. The crime-solving detective part of the game is (for some people maybe very frustrating and boring) quite challenging. I love this game so far. I have already spent 2 hours last night, and see if it is going to let me hooked up till I finish this game.

No comments: