Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Back to my childhood Dragon Ball

When I realized in university that I was still reading some of those Dragon Ball mangas, it was already 10 years since I was in primary school. Unbelievably, Dragon Ball has severed at least 2 generations of childhood, including my own. That is pretty impressive for a manga (well, not as impressive as Doraemon, which has been around more than 50 years of course).

There have been a lot of branches developed from the main original (I really really want to call this original) storyline, i.e., gathering the 7 dragon balls and make a wish to the dragon god. There are Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, etc. etc., which from my own point of view are ridiculous and meaningless. And, sadly there are tons of games developed based on these ridiculous branches of storylines. That's why I am so happy to know that DS is going to have a game based on the original storyline, namely Dragon Ball Origins DS, where we play as the young Goku, meeting with young Burma, and heading for collecting the dragon balls. Boy, it sure has brought back my childhood memory of discussing the story with other classmates in a very enthusiastic yet childish way.

The gameplay is all stylus (of course you can control Goku movement with D-pad, which I use). Basically, it is quite a fun, but can get boring sometimes cause there is no fancy big flash of combos or magic (like those of FF series). Luckily those dungeons labyrith is not that annoyingly complicated. And, the storyline is really based on the original storyline, which counts for everything (at least for me). I really enjoy this game...

No comments: