Sunday, March 29, 2009

Metal Gear Solid Touch is not bad!

Metal Gear Solid is certainly a franchise that no gamers wouldn't know. The 20-year old series (I think now is 21 years old or so) certainly has captured a lot of attention, especially when the 5th episode, i.e., Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was released last year. I myself have played through Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (and Plus) on PSP and LOVING IT! It is short and sweet with definitely near-perfect visual. Now, Metal Gear series expands to iPhone/iPod Touch. I certainly welcome such addition. The graphic certainly lives up to PSP one, and the gameplay fully exploits the touch feature. Moreover, Kojima really renders the whole game sweet and short in one go, that makes it perfectly fit into its portability.



Story: It follows the same story line of Metal Gear Solid 4 without the epic cutscenes, dialogs, dramatic visualization, etc., replaced with some text. I personally don't have any objection on that, in fact, since I don't have Playstation 3 (man, how much I wish I have one), I now can enjoy the epic story of MGS 4 on iPhone. That certainly is welcomed by other people like myself, who do not have Playstation 3.

Control: It fully uses the touch feature, and I must say, perfectly applying it! To aim, we just needs to move our finger to the target, and to shoot just quickly tap it. To avoid the bullets, just remove the finger from the screen. It is certainly intuitive enough that even without reading the instruction, gamers can just straightforward plays it and figures out in one second. One thing to mention is that the gameplay is merely shoot and dodge, yet so much fun so. Snake is not going to move around like in Playstation 3. I think it is very nicely designed to fit on iPhone/iPod Touch.

Graphic: Like I said earlier, the visualization is really sweet and neat! I think, this might be the best looking iPhone/iPod Touch game. Of course you can argue that I rarely play any iPhone/iPod Touch games. But, you would agree with me when you play this game. Somehow, I hate to admit that the graphic beats PSP version of MGS.

Sound: What can I say, the sound is great! The gun shoot, background music, etc. everything is done very well. Kojima's team certainly has nailed it one more time on this! Well done, well done!

Overall: I will certainly give it 4.5/5!!

No comments: