Monday, April 13, 2009

Year 2009 of PSP for Versus!


Not Final Fantasy Versus XIII, mind you (albeit wouldn't it be cool to have that game on PSP -- dream on!) Neogaf has a very nice thread regarding PSP in 2009 listing a rich library of PSP in 2009. Among those several caught my attention. In addition to RPG genre (i.e., Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, .Hack//Link, Persona, Cardboard Senki, Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days, Undead Knights, Ushiro, Ys Seven, Final Fantasy Agito XIII, etc.), maybe because of Dissidia: Final Fantasy, I kinda draw to more alike RPG/Fighting game.

Yes, I have already got my Japanese import, and yes I have put in precious 90+ hours in the game, but, frankly I still love it! Love it! And, surprisingly (even to myself) I look forwards to the English version (coming out in this summer) hoping there will be some extra bonus stuff (as happened to some games before during the localization, some extra stuff is added). I am not kidding when I said I am going to get the English version as well! It is really a masterpiece, putting all Final Fantasy protagonists and antagonists fighting to each other till death, certainly is brilliant idea. And, the sale is certainly quite impressive -- As of February 1, 2009, Dissidia: Final Fantasy has sold 900,000 copies in Japan, making it the fourth best-selling game for the PSP in Japan. And, it has obtained quite good reviews from all sorts of critics -- Famitsu (36/40) and Dengeki (90/95/85/85).

Probably, that's why there are two games coming out that can fall into the similar genre. One is Koei's Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce. This game probably is a marriage of Monster Hunter Portable (that has been crazily popular in Japan) and Dissidia: Final Fantasy. Almost all the Dynasty Warriors will appear in the game, and the game features a mission-based multiplayer theme, as well as, versus mode for players to fight to each other (4-on-4!). From the gameplay, we can see the warriors now have the ability to fly (or more precisely float/glide) in the air. The graphic is certainly quite impressive (almost as good as Dissidia). That's why I really like to get my hand on this game. It (the English version) will be released end of this month. Time to pre-order it on Play-Asia!

Now long ago, Namco Bandai announced a new game Tales of VS for PSP. I personally welcome such announcement. According to the announcement made, the game will be released in Japan this coming summer (and hopefully soon in English-speaking land). From the scans, pictures, and even trailers, the game looks very promising. Tales of VS would utilize a Linear Motion Battle System or LMBS which is used in previous games in the series. Characters will be able to carry out normal attacks and use new intricate actions such as jumping off of walls. Characters are able to gain experience by collecting Grade Points from winning battles and use these Grade Points to upgrade the statistics of three character. Like previous games in the series characters are also able to customize their weapons. Battles can feature up to a total of 4 characters at a time. Basically, it looks a lot like Dissidia, and I believe I am going to love it!

2009 is certainly a year for PSP, and I am really happy for it! I have my PSP for almost 5 years now (damn! time flies), and I am not even a single bit tired of the system. Good job Sony. And, now that there is rumor going on for PSP2. I am not really an early adopter, but I will go and buy this PSP2 when it is out the first day!

No comments: